SectionsRaritan Township Biography
Parks and Recreation
Points of Interest
About Raritan Township
Located in eastern Hunterdon County, 38-square mile Raritan Township has the distinction of being equally distant—about 55 miles--from New York City and Philadelphia. In fact, Old York Road which passes through Raritan was an established stage coach route that operated between those two major cities. Much of the scenery from those stage coach days still exists in the rolling landscapes of Raritan’s Amwell Valley.
Today, Raritan is home to about 22,000 residents, making it the most-populated township in the county. A surge in residential development during the 1980s contributed to the higher population. Raritan Township surrounds the historic borough of Flemington, which is known for its quaint downtown, abundance of retail options and outlet shopping.Back to top
Points of Interest
Pleasant Ridge Cemetery in the Reaville section of Raritan has many antique headstones, the oldest one dating back to 1745. Part of the Presbyterian Church at Amwell, many notable New Jersey residents are interred here, including Governor John Reading Jr., the first New Jersey native to rule the state. Several Revolutionary war soldiers were buried at Pleasant Ridge Cemetery including the famous Captain—then later Colonel-- John Schenck who led a company at the Battle of Monmouth but is better-known locally as leader of the Amwell Militia against the British cavalry during the “Amwell Skirmish.” It was the only clash between American and British troops that took place within the current boundaries of Hunterdon County.
The Urbach Farm on Klinesville Road opened to the public in 2012. It offers 108 acres of protected space, making it one of the largest undeveloped parcels in the township. Visitors can walk through woodlands, open fields and view part of the Assiscong Creek.
Bonetown is an oddly-named section south of Croton that, according to local legend, was home to a family of chicken thieves. After they were forced to move from the property, a large number of chicken bones were left at the site. The Raritan Township Local Historic Committee placed a historic marker at the site on aptly-named Bonetown Road in 2007.
Raritan Public Library is one of the oldest and most historic sites in town. Situated in the General John Frelinghuysen House, the library stands on Native American land purchased in 1683 by Dutch settlers. Original parts of the building were constructed in the early 1700s with a wood addition in around 1780. Over the years it has served as a tavern, jail and public meeting hall. Listed on the state and national registers in 1971, today it has an excellent collection of books as well as activities for all ages.
The Farmer’s Market at Dvoor Farm takes place every Sunday from May until November. The barn complex is a local landmark on Mine Road that is registered as a historic place on both the state and national lists. Run by the Hunterdon Land Trust, this popular market attracts hundreds of shoppers. The Land Trust’s headquarters are in a circa 1798 stone farmhouse on the property.Back to top